Choosing healthy and balanced meals seems like a must do in today's hectic, everyday life. Our lives look much more complicated, chaotic and hard to control than the lives of our grandparents used to be. However, we are blessed with so many more opportunities, developed technologies and possibilities that neglect any struggle we face.
Having good nutrition habits is challenging, but definitely not impossible. You are very busy? Make a salad. It's the fastest and easiest way to keep yourself and your closest ones in good shape, healthy and fresh. You will be surprised by the benefits you are to have.
5 simple ways to use rocket
You may find it under a different name, like rucola, arugula or simply rocket salad but, in any case, it's the same plant you should surely implement in your everyday cooking. Here are 5 simple ways to use this salad vegetable:
- as Italians do, raw, added on the already baked pizza. It will make it look more attractive, taste better and it is the best creative way to encourage your children to try it.
- in a variety of salads. Combine with boiled potatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach, mozzarella and basil leaves. As you will see in my recipe below you can even mix it with fruits, such as strawberries or apples.
- as a side. Did you cook your favorite meat to perfection? Add it on the side with a simple drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- chop it up and add it to previously boiled pasta with some tomato sauce and pecorino cheese.
- in pastry, instead of spinach, feel free to use the rocket. Mix it with your favorite kind of cheese and eggs and you can make incredible, rustic rocket pie.
I have tried all of these, however, my top 1 choice is the Rocket and strawberries salad that I would like to share with you.
Rocket salad recipe
It is super easy, extremely delicious and so fast to make. And trust me, you will be amazed by its taste. It is quite important to always use fresh, seasonal ingredients in order to reach the goal of it being healthy, tasty and keep you full for as long as any other meal would. This is a piece of cake for me as I have my own garden and at any season of the year, I have all kinds of vegetables and herbs that you can think of. Yet, if you are buying from the supermarket, make sure you go for the organic ones.
We can get started. Here are the simple ingredients you will need, and I am not mentioning any measurements because it is up to your taste. You can balance the flavors up to your taste:
- rocket salad
- goat cheese
- balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- honey (optional)
- a piece of toasted bread
There are no rules in the process of doing this salad, but I will share what I think the best order of putting all this together is. First, wash the salad, radish, and strawberries well. Then cut the strawberries into quarters, thinly slice the radish, crush the walnuts and slice the cheese. In a larger bowl put the rocket salad leaves first, add the pieces of strawberries, radish, cheese, walnuts. Mix all that and add a splash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Give it another mix. The honey and toasted bread are optional but I believe it complements it well.
All you have to do now is pour yourself a glass of good white wine and enjoy this wonderful meal. Cheers!